- 0 0
What it is
Ibotta is a free app that helps you make money when you shop. It’s basically coupons but instead of having the money taken off before you pay at the register you get reimbursed afterwards, usually within hours. We use it almost exclusively while grocery shopping but you can use in a variety of other retail stores and restaurants as well. We started using it a few months ago and have already received over $200 from ibotta. You have to spend money to get the rebates/money back but we are going to purchase groceries regardless so we figured we may as well use the ibotta app to get some of that money back. Use this link and earn $10 when you redeem your first rebate.
How to use it
1. Download and log into the app. ibotta automatically populates the stores that are in your area based on your location.
2. Select the store you will patron and then scan through the available rebates. The items are sorted by categories such as meats & seafood, dairy & eggs, beer & cider, etc.
3. If you plan to purchase an item on ibotta you just click on the item and this unlocks the deal.
4. Once you have finished shopping you then verify your purchases that were on ibotta by scanning the barcode on the item or simply by checking the “verify purchase” button on the app (some items like loose produce don’t have a barcode).
When you select each item in your list of purchases to verify as photographed in the screen above, then the below screen will appear for you to scan the barcode of each item. This screen will not appear for produce unless it has a barcode.
5. After you check out of the grocery store you then photograph your receipt and/or scan the QR code if your receipt has one. ibotta reviews it and then adds the funds to your ibotta account.
- Once you reach $20 you can then have the funds transferred to your Venmo or Paypal account.
- Transfer your funds from Venmo or Paypal to your bank account.
- Check what deals are available on ibotta prior to going to the grocery store so that it doesn’t slow you down too much while shopping and you can prepare your list ahead.
- When you are in the store I would recommend scanning the barcode of the item after unlocking the deal to make sure it is the correct item (sometimes it specifies sizes, amounts, and/or certain varieties of an item).
- Compare the cost of the item with other similar products because sometimes even with the amount you get paid back on ibotta it still may be cheaper to buy another brand. This is often true for coffee deals.
- If you don’t want to take the time to look through all of the deals on ibotta but want to know if an item you plan to purchase has a current promotion available you can just scan the item’s barcode by using the search box at the top of the app (there is an icon for a barcode on the right hand corner of the search box).
- Move your money out of ibotta as soon as you can once you reach the minimum threshold to do so which is $20. If ibotta shuts down/goes out of business tomorrow you don’t want to lose your money and be s.o.l.